Sunday, January 4, 2009

Birthday and Beginnings

Happy Birthday, Sweetheart. Today Greg is 38. And every year I promise myself I will make it more special as it comes at the tail end of the holidays and every year I don't do as well as I would like. Luckily, I am married to a low key guy that finds happiness at home. We started with breakfast in bed. Ryan was up early, but did not wake me until after 7 as promised (it was 7:09). He and Charlotte were up and ready to get started. I baked the cake last night but forgot to check for frosting. So, clothes on, off to Krogers at 7:25. Chocoloate frosting, numbers 3 and 8, cards, check. I also considered that he would be pretending sleep and making breakfast on top of the cake would be very time consuming--so off to Tim Hortons--where requests for donuts were denied. They frosted and sprinkled the cake, applied the numbers, signed cards and we toted plates etc (very quietly) to the bedroom and a had a still warm breakfast in bed. Greg graciously pretended to sleep thru the preparations. We piddled around until 1:30 and went on to Cheesecake Factory for an overly long--why do we take them to restaurants?-meal.

We had been looking forward to an Imax show at the AF museum called Deep sea. The kids have asked tons of questions about sea life since reading A Whale of a Tale so this seemed perfect. And it was for 4 minutes. That's how long it took for the first fish to get eaten and not just eaten, but jump out of the coral and grabbed eaten. So about every 4 minutes, something got eaten and Ryan was curled up in a ball with his ears covered with Greg's hands over his eyes. The beauty of the film and soothing narration by Kate Winslet and Johnny Depp were completely lost on him as he waited anxiously for the next thing to be bitten. We left early (due to strident requests that we had to leave NOW) and are taking bets on how long it will be before he is a vegetarian.

We came home, put in a much safer (supposedly) Bee movie and relaxed. Greg insists he had a lovely birthday. What a sweet man I have married.

All of this is overshadowed by the reality that reality resumes tomorrow. The kids are back to school (I hate school because of the whistles and want to say home--Ryan), the shuttling of children, starting schoolwork (I started tonight) and Greg is back to work. We have plans for April, I am taking the week of Spring break off with a possible trip to Great Wolf, and tentative plans for California in July. This will keep us going as we jump back on the busy wheel of things to keep up with. Scouts starts and somewhere I will sign Charlotte up for the next gymnastics/dance session.

It's been a lovely couple of weeks. The trees will be recycled this week. Ryan literally cried when we told him we couldn't plant Thomas and we took a picture of him hugging the tree. About 75% of the decorations are back in their bins. We still have returns and exchanges. But they aren't going anywhere and can wait.

No comments: