For the last several weeks, my coffee has not come out right. I don't know why. I'm not doing anything different. I've tried different beans. I ultimately take a few sips of the stuff and pitch the rest. It took me awhile to realize I was doing this and then a little longer to figure out I was making coffee as a compulsion, a habit. I wasn't even drinking it. The bean grinder and the press have been cleaned and stored away. Yesterday I switched to tea. I found a soothing caffeine free blend that allows me to have something warm when I crave it, early morning and mid afternoon. As a result I have been weaned off caffeine--at least hefty doses of it. I still get the occasional hot chocolate from Starbucks. So, tonight when I needed to get my post done for school, I could not afford to fall into bed at 10 like I have for the last 2 nights. I went to Starbucks and got a tall misto-half coffee, half milk. It's 1230 am and I am still totally awake! I am reading next week's homework, I called greg's parents (they're on Cali time). So I thought it was worth writing about. Charlotte mentioned going decaf awhile back and the n switching to caffeine when I needed a boost--boy, does it ever work!
So maybe my body said it had had enough coffee. That's cool. It took my brain a little longer to let go--but the transition seems to be going smoothly. So, no more lattes or mochas--they don't even sound good. My wallet and waistline should thank me.
1 comment:
If you go to the coffee aisle at the grocery store and get something called Iced Mocha (a blue upside down bottle from Nestle), it's liquid coffee syrup. When you're going to die from exhaustion yet have a five page paper still to write, mix with milk like chocolate milk, or stir into a glass of warm milk, or use the package directions to make a home made frappuccino (by far the best, but then you have to clean the blender). This stuff has more caffeine than Mountain Dew. It WILL keep you awake until 3am, whether you want to or not. Drink sparingly and you can use it to save your life. :)
--Charlotte, master of caffeine management
Post a Comment