Sunday, August 21, 2011
Trounced
Today was Ryan's first tournament as a select soccer player! I got to experience it as a parent this time instead of a player. I think I prefer the player experience. They were trounced. Trounced soundly once and then trounced even worse the second game. Second game was 12-0. There are many reasons why this happened and it was an interesting experience for me as a parent. Keeping quiet when frustrated was a test today so I decided to stop being frustrated. They have a coach and screaming parents don't help anyway. Not strangling the other teams parents was harder. Comments like "I'm starting to feel sorry for them" particularly grated. But our boys didn't run as much as they should have. It wasn't a case if they tried their best and failed. A few just didn't have their heads in the game-my boy included. They can and have been much more tenacious with the ball. The other coach finally his boys to stop shooting the ball. Our boys coach did a good job though.The boys weren't particularly downtrodden. They have a long way to go. For several this is their first select experience. In a few months they will be better and next season better still. Now, I get to learn how to be supportive while also communicating the need for him to try. He knows what it feels like to lose. I think every kid needs that. I can't convince him to try if he wants to win. He has to figure that out on his own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment