Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Cats

So yes, there is a story as to why we have 2 cats. My super softie heart and Greg's ultimate love for me:)  Found the orange cat on the way home from work one night (1 am)--he was wandering down a usually busy road and didn't flinch as the van came near. He was so skinny and then he came right to me. I couldn't leave him so brought him home. Argument ensued as to the proper placement of the cat--which at that point was not the house. He went back out on the stoop and back into the world where I was sure he would be roadkill or caught by some torturous fiends. I seriously had nightmares about it. He ended up wandering up to the kids a few days later as I was cleaning windows. After several hours, Greg relented. I went looking for him and apparently whispering "here kitty kitty" can get you more than you bargained for. I was overjoyed at the sound of mewing but was struck dumb when I turned a saw a wee kitten instead of my skinny tom. Didn't plan on keeping both, but they have turned out to have lovely dispositions. Vet visit conformed the orange tom was sick--he was sneezing and hacking blood. He is now on antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection. The kitten is in perfect shape and asserted his personality early--he is called Rascal. The other fellow is really mellow. He spent his first two days here by the toilet curled up and sleeping--vet said he was 2 pounds underweight and about 7 months old. So I think he was just exhausted. He still sleeps alot, but comes out more to be petted and is truly content when he is laying on me. He is called Westley after the Princess Bride--though I would really love Dread Pirate Roberts--that may be a bit of a mouthful. So I am now in the midst of controlling the waste and stench the comes with two intact male cats. The litterboxes are an ongoing battle--and I think the orange tom is marking in one corner. They are set up to be neutered in September.

So how is Charlie with all of this? He is doing well altogether. He likes to paw the kitten and Westley hisses at him when he gets too annoyed. So we don't leave them all unattended. I love having warm beasties to pet.

Pictured are the boys in the beds Charlotte made. The kids are delighted. Hearing the glee was they laugh at the kitten lightens my heart.

No comments: