Saturday, November 14, 2009

Bookmakers

So the kids have started making books. I am not sure what has started this...Charlotte brings a collection of papers to be stapled. She fills hers with drawings. Ryan wrote another book today. It's about a ship called the Larson Dawson that gets hit by a tornado, catches fire and sinks. And is found 19 years later. You can definitely see what favorite subject is influencing this piece! But it is accompanied by pictures. And punctuation.

Charlotte is reading simple sentences now and is writing. The teacher encourages the children to spell by the sounds they hear--so some of Charlotte's words are very interesting! Today they spent some time in their fort. Ryan wanted to make a flag for it--literally wanted me to sew him the flag of England and mount it on a standard flag pole--I talked him in to a garden flag pole and he picked "Peace on Earth" flag--thank goodness. the kids' craft requests for fabric items are stacking up. I will have plenty of work to do on the sewing machine when school is done.

I am reading them Charlie and the Chocolate Factory--two chapters a night. I've never read it before now. We'll catch the Gene Wilder version after we're done. The Johnny Depp version looks creepy. It's my first time reading them a novel--I look forward to others.

No comments: