So I am back to work. Having a few days off was wonderful. It will be even more so when I do not have schoolwork to contend with! Trips in NC--the Scrap Exchange, a cool bookstore, 2 excellent ethnic restaurants, swimming. A night for RockBand and a night for movie night. Visited 2, yes 2! REI stores--ended up buying a trailer bike.
Learned a few things too. Using my GPS on the way home, I was looking for a McD's--Ryan asked very nicely for lunch there and I wanted to indulge them a little bit. They were so good eating their snacks and using their water bottles. So when the GPS says it's 7 miles away--it's not necessarily 7 miles up the road. This was 7 miles, I think perpendicular to the route I was on. So after spending way too much time getting there, I ended up on a different route home. We saw and entrance to the Blue Ridge parkway and I thought "Cool, won't that be pretty, we're not in a rush..." The next sign was for Roanoke 82 miles away. I eventually pulled off to see which way I was going--Roanoke was no where near the direction I needed to go. So I ended up driving thru different "gaps" before I could manag to turn around and I was reminded of some books I read that were set in a gap. It was absolutely beautiful country. I haven't seen an ugly part of Virginia yet. The kids continued to travel very well and it took a bit longer to get home. Ryan lost his second tooth in West Virginia--yeah--it caused him a lot of grief on the trip.
From now on, the kids will either be read books made into movies before seeing the movies or read them themselves. We listened to The Tale of Desperaux and Nim's Island on CD and they were wonderful. Tale was a little much I think for the kids--I liked it. Ryan like the part where the shark blew up in Nim's Island--so he was listening. Skippyjohn Jones was a favorite of Charlotte's.
In other exciting news, Charlotte can ride a two-wheeler! We took her to the same lot that Ryan learned on. She does great with the balance, it's just getting her to pedal hard enough to keep up her momentum. We also tried out the trailer bike. Greg isn't sold on it yet, but I think it will be good for long bike rides since Charlotte won't even fit in a trailer.
All in all , it was a wonderful time to spend with the kids. Not being distracted by house stuff let me focus on them and I think we are closer. I just have to tell myself to sit down with them at home. There is always something to be done. Sitting with them, reading to them, playing games with them is my job too:) Not that I don't do that. I need to do it more.
BTW, Greg's trip is finally set. He is out of town the week I am off school. Don't you just love irony?? Now what to do...scrapbook, quilt, clean, catch up on series and movies I want to see...
Waiting to hear back on job app. It will determine if we will consider homeschooling or not. Antioch is our first choice but we just can't afford it:( Public has been beneficial to Ryan in many ways, but so much is missing too.
The wait for a rescue pup continues. We haven't heard back from a rescue yet, but 2 of our "references" have been called:)
No comments:
Post a Comment