Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Grandma Christine
Grandma Christine was my mother's mother. It is my understanding that she returned with my grandfather from Germany during or after World War II. She kept her heavy German accent during her life in the states. Of all of my memories of her, the one that recently emerged was of how she rubbed our faces gently with her knuckles and tsked in adoration--a way saved for grandmothers who adore their grandchildren, I suppose. She loved doing it, it was a daily occurrence whenever she was with us. I am reminded of it now because I do it with my own children--without the tsking, but I can't resist gently rubbing their cheeks with the back of my fingers. I wonder if she was as fascinated with the warm smooth suppleness of a child's face as I am or if she just loved rubbing our freckles? It doesn't hurt that now they are the perfect height for this and for now, they tolerate it. Whatever the reason, I now get more pleasure in this simple gesture because most of the time when I rub Ryan and Charlotte's cheeks, I am reminded of Grandma Christine and her love for me. I wonder if the kids will remember too?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment