Thursday, September 4, 2008

Soccer practice

Today was Charlotte's first practice. Yes, she looked adorable in her shin guards and pink and black cleats. She is on a 3-5 age team and they are a hoot. The shine of practice wore off about 20 minutes into it. It was also about 90 degrees out. I held her hand and ran with her during most of the drills. Ryan wanted to be Coach James' assistant. Coach James was quite cool about this. Ryan was on his team before and moved up since he turned 6. So as the days get cooler, we'll see how it goes.

Two good things happened today, Austin came by to get Ryan and they went to the bus stop together--totally great for Ryan. I was also able to pick him up after school. We were home at 3:20. With the kindergartners being bussed form a different school and all of those logistics, Ryan had been getting home near 4. He much preferred riding home in an air conditioned car with snacks ans I liked not having to wait so long to see him.

Ryan is bringing home math homework and his completed writing assignements. I am keeping all of his work in a expandable file so I can watch his progress through the year. His handwriting makes my hand hurt. It's very tall and wide right now. But he has the hang of his words. We have to practice spelling them and writing them, but he is game for that. I'll be running copies for his teacher tomorrow and one of us will eat lunch with him next week. The complaints with the whistle continues. His teacher let me now there are 250 students at a time in the cafeteria-ACK! It might get a bit loud.

Charlotte is in the nursery and a different kid from the one I see at home. More tempestuous, dramatic and a bundle of energy. Ann seems to think some of that will wear off as she settles. I hope so, the kid at school would get on my last nerve at home. Bless the teachers for their patience and understanding of small children!

No comments: