Saturday, February 9, 2008

Ice Skating


Today Ryan and I went to a birthday party for 2 of his kindergarten friends, Zenya and Iliana. It was held at the Kettering rec and involved about 2 hours of ice skating after cake and presents. Ryan has never been on ice skates. I haven't been on skates in about 17 years. Folks are surprised when I tell them that, as if living in Ohio should mean that we embrace all things cold. We don't ski--not enough snow here, and I don't usually ice skate--it's cold and hard when you fall down. Winters mean basketball and indoor swim lessons. It also usually means gaining a few extra pounds that need to be shed when it warms up again.
Ryan was looking forward to it and initially didn't want me far from him. But he found his bearings and was soon telling me I could go on without him, which was good because moving at a snails pace was killing my feet in the rental skates. He would fall and would get himself upright most times. If I was nearby he would want my help. If I was at the other end of the rink he did fine on his own. He would fall from time to time and I asked him to stop,. It's not unusual for him to fall down alot at home as a part of playing and I was afraid he would cause an accident. He insisted he wasn't "play falling" and was mad at me for suggesting it. Liz Grififn was near her son Carter, he was holding onto the side and I offerred a pointer. Liz said everyone learned their own way and I realized I needed to shut up. She was absolutely right. Ryan is certainly young but he is confident in his knowledge of his own skills that I didn't need to hover. I would ask him from time to time if he wanted me close or if I could go. Most of the time it was go. A few laps later a fall brought tears to his eyes. He was in a good cry by the time I got to him. I rubbed his butt and the cries eventually slowed down. Then he turned and started to skate. He related after a few strides that the tip of the skate blade had poked his butt when he fell. (ouch!) My getting up was more problematic but I got up without much of a show (God I'm getting older!). For a bit after that he wanted me close (my poor feet) and he started asking about the lines on the floor and the nets above the walls. I tried to explain hockey. Now I need to show him a game. What an amazing brain he has. I suppose all kids do! But how easy it is , for me a least, to overlook this child's power of observation, his ability to ask and puzzle over things and most of all, his confidence. It's so much easier just to barge in and direct-a skill I am rewarded for at work and as an adult dealing with logistic gymnastics every day. How nice it was to have some time with him away from the house and away from his sister--she inevitably has my attention most of the time. He is assertive, he is a person and he can skate!

No comments: